Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Irresistible?

So I've been reading. Big surprise there, I know. Well anyways, I picked up a copy of Shane Claiborne's "Irresistible Revolution" while on Thanksgiving break the other week (since I've heard his name quite a bit recently) and have been trawling my way through it these past couple days... I think I'm on chapter 6 or something. Consensus so far? Welllllll, it has made me think, which I appreciate, and it does have some pretty darn revolutionary ideas (and by that I mean it implies you probably should round up some fellow "ordinary radicals," move to the inner city, pool all you possessions, and help out the poor... which hey? could be a good idea?) but somehow something isn't sitting right with me. Maybe it's Claiborne's willingness to be identified with names such as Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo (among others) who hold blatantly heretical views? Or his emphasis on "going green" (don't get me wrong, I am all about taking care of the planet! But is that really something, what with the "not-so-convincing '-science'" of "Global Warming," that should be high on the spiritually important list)? Or perhaps his pacifist stance (which I will admit has made me think a lot... should Christians condone war? I find it fascinating that the Early Church Fathers were against fighting and would never have killed a man/woman... but is fighting always wrong? For instance, when evil people endanger innocent lives should we not react for the sake of the innocent)? Overall I think what has been bothering me the most about this volume is Shane's overemphasis on the present. I mean he seems so focused on creating a "heaven on earth" that he neglects to realize eternity IS, in fact, quite more important than this present world. We are all here, whether rich or poor, for but a blink and then, hello foreverrrrrrrr! Better do something about, not just someone's earthly needs, but their eternal needs, don't you think?
Anywho, I'll update ya'll more on my ideological adventures later... Love and Hope through Christ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment